Tuesday, July 5, 2011

First Day in Guatemala

Today start out with lots of flying and praying that we landed okay! Once we got to Guatemala I knew that I should be here to see the kids. We drove through the city to a hotel where we met and chatted for a bit about questions we had. We met the principal of the school and learned more about the school. It was started 6 years ago to help kids that couldn't afford private school. It sounds like an interesting place and I'm excited to learn more about it! We then met our families which was a surprise as all of us thought we were staying at the hotel for the night. My friend Tiffany and I are together at our families house. They seem very nice and I'm sure I will have pictures of them up very soon. The parents do not know English and I know very little Spanish, but luckily their 3 daughters and Tiffany are bilingual to help with any translation issues. The family told us that we were going to get to go see the beach with the black sand and a couple other places on the weekends! Pumped!

High of today: Finally realizing that I should be excited to be here! Getting a great family that will be really nice!
Low of today: It was kind of rainy, saying goodbye...

Funny thing from today: The flight attendant on our plane from Guatemala was asking the group of us in the exit seats (it was a large plane) if we all knew English and about the exit seats. We all responded yes, but this Spanish speaking man didn't respond, so she asked him in Spanish and he responded. She then proceeded to ask him if he really knew English and what to do at the exit row. He answered her in perfect English and then talked to us throughout the plane ride in perfect English. Just amusing.

I apologize for the pictures, I uploaded them really quickly and didn't edit. Google bog likes to put everything else except my typing in English so I can't edit the photos now. But I will be putting up more and hopefully have time to edit them so they look good!

Excited to see what tomorrow brings,
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment