Thursday, July 7, 2011

2nd Day of Teaching:

The day started off great! After Tiffany and I accidentally slept from 6 pm until the morning, we were well rested. Again when we arrived at school we started off with hugs, then breakfast. Then I observed and helped out in an elementary classroom where they learned My Name Is..., the colors, and a couple other basic things. It went really well for the rambunctious group that we have. The we had our class which consisted of talking about upcoming papers and such, so fun! Then I finally got to teach the 9th graders and it was a lot more fun and easier than I thought. They honestly want to learn, which is great! They already know so much which is great, so we can move onto other things. Today we talked about family, their lives and about them. I also have them write about what they already knew in English, which is a lot.
After the school day ended, our host dad likes to show us places in the community. Today we visited the university, which was really neat to see the similarities because our school and theirs. There is actually a lot in common with the schools. We tried a Guatemalan hot dog at the school which consisted of beef, guacamole, cabbage, mustard, and a few other things. Let's just say luckily there was Pepsi to wash it down. Our dinner was much better tonight though. After trying lots of different fruits, some sweet and some sour, we sat down to a dinner of bean paste (black beans prepared as mashed potatoes) with cream cheese, eggs and hams, and bread. It was actually pretty good. Tonight we hung out with the family a lot just talking and telling stories so we could make up time from last night.

Low of today: Figuring out who was in control of the classroom in the afternoon and just how it was going to go.
High of today: Getting to teach and realizing that the students do know a lot. Spending time with our family!
Funny things of today: Here yellow sounds like jello, it makes me giggle every time! Also alcohol down here is around all the time and the dad is proud of his stash. Today he had us try a couple different sips of something. It was interesting because we didn't need chaser, we could just drink it straight because it is so sweet. The funny thing though was that the dad wanted me to smell one of the drinks, but I didn't know what he meant and I thought he wanted me to try it. Tiffany was lacking in her translation, so I was about to take a sip and they were like no, no, no! It was really funny!
Tomorrow I look forward to seeing how the days goes, the kids go to PE for part of the day and I'm not sure what to expect.

-Sorry for the lack of pictures, again I don't have a way to upload them, but hopefully soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment